Sept. 3, 2014 -- The Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries (LDWF) will provide public dove hunting opportunities for the Sept. 6 season opening on leased private land in three parishes.
The 2014-15 dove season opens Saturday, Sept. 6 in the north and south zones and hunters have multiple options available. LDWF has leased private land in the following parishes for Sept. 6 only, from noon to sunset:
Beauregard Parish, DeRidder-500 acres harvested corn and milo: Directions -- Take Hwy. 190 West from DeRidder. The field is approximately 5 miles West of DeRidder on the North side of Hwy. 190, just past Hwy. 3226. Check-in area will be near the storage tanks. Contact Kori Legleu at 337-491-2575, extension 3021, for more information. Maps will be available at LDWF’s Lake Charles field office, 1213 North Lakeshore Drive, Lake Charles, LA 70601.
Grant Parish, 120 acres of harvested milo: Directions -- Take Hwy. 8 north approximately 2.3 miles from I-49 and turn east (right) on dirt road. Check-in area will be 0.3 miles from highway. Park on shoulder of road between highway and check-in area. ATVs and UTVs are not allowed. Contact David Hayden at LDWF’s Pineville field office at 318-487-5885 for more information. Maps will also be available at the Pineville field office, 1995 Shreveport Hwy., Pineville, LA 71360.
Tangipahoa Parish, Wilmer - 152 acres prepared native grass pasture: Directions -- Take Route 10 to Wilmer then Hwy. 1061 North to Olon Bankston Road. Check-in area will be on Olon Bankston Road. Contact Jimmy Ernst at 985-543-4784 for more information. Maps will be available at LDWF’s Hammond field office, 42371 Phyllis Ann Dr., Hammond LA 70403.
The following rules will apply to all leased fields:
1. Alcoholic beverages are prohibited.
2. Shot larger than size 7 ½ is prohibited (size 7 ½ , 8, 9 are allowed)
3. All trash - including shell hulls - must be picked-up.
4. Only legal doves may be taken.
5. All hunters must have a daily permit as well as appropriate hunting license with HIP certification; note, hunters under 16 years of age do not need HIP certification. The daily permit is available at the field and will be issued on a first-come first-served basis. HIP certifications are available from hunting license vendors. If hunters have formed a line prior to the time permits are issued, permits will then be issued to those in line in order of arrival.
6. There is a $10 fee per hunter, 16 years of age and older. Cash or check. Hunters under 16 will be admitted free, but they must check-in and have a permit.
7. When a predetermined number of hunters are admitted, the field will be closed. Additional hunters may be admitted when someone leaves the field and surrenders his/her permit. Use of vehicles, including ATV’s, may be restricted and will vary from field to field. Check with Department personnel about restrictions when you check-in.
8. These leased fields are open to the public Sept. 6 only. Entrance at any other time is trespassing.
These leased fields have been made available through the cooperation of the landowners. Future access to these fields and other private property is dependent on the conduct of the hunters using these fields.
For additional public dove hunting opportunities on state wildlife management areas, go to the LDWF web list posted at http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/hunting/dove .
Shooting hours: The shooting hours during dove season are one-half hour before sunrise to sunset except for opening day of the first split on WMAs and LDWF leased fields where shooting hours will be 12 p.m. (noon) to sunset. However, the shooting hours for dove on the Point Farm Unit at Pointe Aux Chenes WMA in Terrebonne Parish will be one-half hour before sunrise to sunset since all dove hunting hours for all dates within all splits end at noon on Pointe Aux Chenes WMA.
All licensed hunters are reminded that the appropriate Louisiana hunting license with HIP certification is required to hunt doves on public and private land. Those hunters who are ages 18 to 59 are also required to have a WMA Hunting Permit when hunting doves on WMAs.
For more information about public dove hunting opportunities, contact Jeff Duguay at 225-765-2353 or email@example.com .