Pursuant to LA R.S. 56:305.6, anyone applying for a Commercial Crab Trap Gear License must first complete the Louisiana Fisheries Forward Commercial Crab Gear Requirements program, unless they held a valid Commercial Crab Trap Gear License in any two of the following years: 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014 OR held a valid Wholesale/Retail Seafood Dealer License and can demonstrate crab landings through trip ticket submissions during any two years between 2011 and 2014.
The Louisiana Fisheries Forward Commercial Crab Gear Requirements program consists of:
- Mandatory course training including a NASBLA-approved boating safety course and four Louisiana Fisheries Forward online courses (How to Be a Commercial Fisherman, How to Be a Crab Fisherman, Seafood Business and Finance, and Best Handling Practices for Producing High Quality Seafood)
- Mandatory on the job / field training through an apprenticeship or sponsorship
- Optional attendance at LDWF-approved meetings or events (as substitute for required apprenticeship hours or sponsorship trips)
To apply for the program, you must have a valid Louisiana Commercial Fisherman’s License and must complete and submit a Louisiana Fisheries Forward application, along with additional required documents. See the application packet for details. Applications are available in person, by mail by contacting LDWF at 1-855-262-1764, or online. You may submit an application year-round, in person or via certified mail to:
Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries
Louisiana Fisheries Forward -- Commercial Crab Gear Requirements
P.O. Box 98000
Baton Rouge, LA 70898
Please review the official program rules, guidelines, and application before applying for the program. Do not start your training until your application has been approved.
You must complete all requirements within one consecutive 12-month period. When you have completed the mandatory course training and one of the on the job/field training options, you will be eligible to obtain a Commercial Crab Trap Gear License.
Questions about this program? Please contact:
- Darren Bourgeois: 504-284-2033 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Richard Williams: 225-765-0121 or email@example.com
If you need language assistance to complete this application or have questions specific to your application, please contact LDWF Fisheries Oversight at 1-855-262-1764.
If you have questions regarding license qualifications for exemption from this training, please contact LDWF Licensing at 225-765-2898.