Fishing Contest Rules – LDWF Get Out and Fish – 11/15/14 – Girard Park Pond, Lafayette
1. Rules – Decisions of the Event Director are final in all matters and are not subject to appeal. By participating in the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries (LDWF) Get Out and Fish event, each contestant agrees to be bound by the Guidelines and by the Rules stated herein. The Event Director reserves the right to not allow continued participation in the event by any contestant for any reason.
2. Participation – Participants are required to follow all applicable federal, state and local regulations and laws. Any violation may result in disqualification from the event. Participants must bring their own fishing gear and bait, and must provide their own container to transport fish to weigh-in. See the Guidelines for specific division and category descriptions.
3. Fish, Fishing Methods and Locations – All fish must be wild and caught by rod and reel utilizing conventional methods. Artificial lures and live or dead bait may be used during competition. Participants may not catch fish or weigh-in fish that have been caged or confined in an area prior to the tournament. Foul hooked fish shall not be eligible for competition. Fishing is permitted from the shore and/or piers, except areas that are designated as “off limits” or “no fishing” by private ownership or local, state and federal officials. All fish entered must be caught by that registered participant. Each fish may only be entered in ONE category/division.
4. Entry and Registration – There is no entry fee for the event. Participants may pre-register online at www.wlf.la.gov/getoutandfish or participants may register in-person the morning of the event. Online registration will close at 4pm the day prior to the event. All participants will be assigned numbers according to the order of completed registration. Participants MUST check-in with event staff prior to the start of fishing to receive angler’s number and wristband, as well as to be eligible for lunch and to be entered to win raffle prizes.
5. Divisions – There are three age divisions:
A. Little Angler – ages 10 and under.
B. Junior Angler – ages 11-15.
C. Adult Angler – ages 16 and older.
6. Safety – At the discretion of the Event Director, the contest and activities may be shortened or canceled due to unsafe conditions. The event will not start under a U.S. Coast Guard "Gale or Storm Warning" or until "Safe Light" is determined. Participants are expected to use their best judgment. No action by event staff should be construed as an endorsement or representation concerning whether it is safe to continue fishing at any given time. Event staff will not give advice or recommendations to participants concerning weather conditions.
7. Sportsmanship – All Participants are required to follow high standards of sportsmanship, courtesy, safety, conservation and to conduct themselves in a manner that will be a credit to themselves, LDWF personnel and staff, and event sponsors and the sport of fishing. If conduct does not comply with the standards set forth, the Event Director shall have the right to refuse any entry, or to deny confirmed entry of a previously accepted entry, or disqualify a participant.
8. Official Checkpoints – There will be an official Weigh-In Station located near the water and designated by a tan tent with the LDWF logo. Weigh-In ends at 11am; no fish may be weighed-in after tabulation of final results has begun.
9. Scoring – The total weight of each participant’s catch during the contest shall be measured in pounds and 100th of a pound. Fish can be dead or alive at weigh-in. As stated in the LDWF’s fishing regulations, the minimum length limit for channel catfish is 11” and the daily creel limit is 100. However, a fisherman may possess up to 25 undersized catfish. Any fish that appears to have been mangled, mashed, mauled or otherwise altered will not be weighed at the discretion of the Weigh Masters. In the event of a tie, placement will be decided by the first fish that was weighed-in. The Event Director may award additional prizes at their discretion.
10. Liability – Participation of Contestants in the LDWF Get Out and Fish event is voluntary and at their own risk. By virtue of participating, Contestants agree to protect, defend, indemnify, save and hold harmless, the Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries Foundation, the State of Louisiana, the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries, its Commission, and all officers, agents, servants, employees, and volunteers thereof, from and against any and all claims, damages, expenses, and liability arising out of injury or death to any person or the damage, loss or destruction of any property which may occur, or in any way grow out of, any act or omission of Contestant in connection with participation in the event, or any and all costs, expenses and/or attorney fees incurred by Contestant as a result of any claims, demands, suits, or causes of action arising out of participation in the event. Contestant agrees to investigate, handle, respond to, provide defense for and defend any such claims, demands, suits, or causes of action at its sole expense and agrees to bear all other costs and expenses related thereto, even if the claims, demands, suits, or causes of action are groundless, false or fraudulent.