Oyster Seasons as of December 15, 2011
- Little Lake - open
- Public Grounds East of the Mississippi River, including Lake Borgne - open
- Hackberry and Barataria bays - closed on November 4
- Lake Chien, Felicity– closed on November 4
- Deep Lake and Lake Tambour - open
- Lake Mechant - open
- Bay Junop and Sister Lake - closed on December 15
- Vermillion and Atchafalaya Bay areas - open
- Calcasieu Lake - West Cove - open (10 sack limit)
Calcasieu Lake (Eastside) and Sabine Lake will remain closed.
LDWF manages oysters jointly with the Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals (DHH). DHH may issue closures of an areas for health reasons. During those health-related closures, oysters may not be harvested.
Get more information from DHH on oyster safety and the molluscan shellfish program here.Closure dates will be determined by LDWF Secretary Barham on an “as needed” basis, based on biological and harvest data. LDWF biologists will closely monitor harvest and continue to collect biological information from public reefs as the season progresses.