Other Public Uses and Nature Trips
The Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries has established dates of Feb. 1st – May 31st for non-hunting public use of White Lake Wetlands Conservation Area facilities. Uses may include nature photography, bird watching, skeet shooting, marsh tours, educational trips and business retreats. For profit or commercial activities are prohibited.
WLWCA is located south of Gueydan and includes 71,000 acres of wetlands, freshwater marsh, agricultural property, and lodge facilities that can accommodate group meetings for 12 to 15 attendees, depending upon day or overnight use requirements.
The lodge facilities, accessible only by water, are available at rental rates that vary based on the level of services required by the group using the site. Boat transportation to and from the site will be provided as part of the day use and overnight use access. LDWF biologists will be available upon request for lectures on the ecosystem within the conservation area.
The following rules apply on these trips:
1. Safety is a primary consideration. All visitors must adhere to posted safety rules and directions provided by site staff while on the property.
2. Access will be provided at a designated parking area.
3. Boat transportation to and from the site will be provided as part of the day use and overnight use access. Group participants must arrive at the White Lake WCA boat dock at the designated departure time (9:00AM for day use; no later than 4:00PM for overnight use). The site boat dock is located at the southernmost end of La. Highway 91, south of Gueydan.
4. Boat guides for boat tours and biologists for lecture sessions must be requested in advance of group’s arrival on site.
5. No permit or license is required for White Lake WCA visitors using the site for public access activities.
6. No firearms may be brought onto the WCA unless authorized by LDWF.
7. Visitors must adhere to No Littering rules on site.
8. A deposit of $100.00 is required to reserve a date on the public access schedule.
9. Site use may be scheduled Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday from Feb. 1st to May 31st.
10. Site use will be scheduled on a first come first serve basis pending facility and staff availability, which will only accommodate 1 group per day/week.
11. Arrangements for site use must be made 2 weeks in advance to allow for staff scheduling.
The Fee Schedule for public use is as follows:
Day Use (9:00AM to 3:00PM, for up to 15 people)
- $300- Includes one-day use of the lodge for meetings with no food or drink or additional services provided by LDWF. Typical uses include meetings or bird watching around the lodge facilities during the spring Neotropical bird migration.
- $300 + $10/person- Includes one-day use of lodge for meetings with coffee, cold drinks and bottled water provided.
- $300 + $20/person- Includes one-day use of the lodge for meetings with coffee, cold drinks, bottled water and lunch provided. Lunch provided will consist of a sandwich tray and chips or something similar. It will not include a hot lunch.
- Exemptions from day-use lodge rental fee: State agencies, local and federal agencies, and universities conducting research, or educational activities, conducted in cooperation with LDWF. Costs for beverages or lunch may apply ($10/person for drinks, $20/person for drinks and lunch).
Overnight Use (Day 1: arrive between 2-4:00PM; Day 2: depart at 1:00PM; for up to 12 people)
- $400 + $25/person/night – Includes overnight stay at the lodge with only linens provided
- $400 + $35/person/night – Includes overnight stay at the lodge with coffee, cold drinks, bottled water and linens provided.
- $900 + $35/person/night – Includes overnight stay at the lodge with coffee, cold drinks, bottled water, meals (supper, breakfast, and lunch) and linens provided.
- Exemptions from overnight lodge rental fee: State agencies, local and federal agencies, and universities conducting research, or educational activities, conducted in cooperation with LDWF. Costs for beverages or lunch may apply ($10/person for drinks, $20/person for drinks and lunch).
Skeet Range (optional activity for groups using site for day or overnight use)
- $10/person for 25 clay targets
- $15/person for 25 clay targets with 25 shotgun shells provided
- Exemptions – Any persons using the skeet range at LDWF-sponsored events
Boat Tours (optional activity for groups using site for day or overnight use)
- $10/person for a 1.5 hour ride through the marsh
- Exemptions – Any state, local, or federal agency working in cooperation with the LDWF on cooperative initiatives or universities/conservation organizations working with LDWF on cooperative research projects, or educational activities conducted in cooperation with LDWF.
For more information, contact Wayne Sweeney at 337-536-9400, ext. 1 or Schuyler Dartez at ext. 2.