Visit Keep Louisiana Beautiful for more information on littering.
Call 888.LITRBUG (888.548.7284), LDWF’s anti-litter hotline, to report any potential littering violations including dumpsites and littering in public. LDWF’s Law Enforcement Division is the leading litter enforcement agency in the state.
Penalties for Littering and Dumping
Those convicted of litter violations face fines between $175 and $1,000 and up to 8 hours in a litter abatement work program.
- Simple littering such as trash flying out the back of a pickup truck carries up to $175 in fines and court costs.
- Intentional littering such as deliberately throwing trash out of a window onto a roadway brings up to a $250 fine.
- Gross littering such as depositing large amounts of trash into a ditch or having an illegal dumpsite carries $500 to $1,000 in fines.
Dumping violations can carry higher fines and additional penalties, depending on the severity of the dumpsite and the damage to the environment.
What You Can Do to Help Reduce Litter
- Clean out truck beds.
- Do not throw cigarette butts or other trash out of your car or boat.
- Carry a litterbag in your car or boat.
- Securely cover trash containers to prevent animals from spreading litter.
- If you witness littering or illegal dumping violations, call our anti-litter hotline at 888.LITRBUG (888.548.7284).