To provide ample hunting opportunity for Louisiana residents, LDWF manages dove fields on state-owned wildlife management areas and leases private lands from farmers for dove hunting. Managers plant and manipulate crops and manage commercial agricultural fields to attract large numbers of doves to shooting areas during the hunting season.
2023 Public WMA Dove Fields
Note that all LDWF WMA dove fields are non-toxic shot only. Shooting hours begin ½ hour before sunrise on LDWF WMAs and LDWF Private Lease Field.
Bodcau WMA, Bossier Parish
- 6 acres brown-top millet located by the shooting range. 6 acres brown-top millet located in the Whittington Fields.
Boeuf WMA, Caldwell Parish
- Elliott field – North tract 40 acres, planted in brown-top millet.
Clear Creek WMA, Vernon parish
- Various clear cuts have a good goat weed (croton) response, expect good dove jump shooting
Elbow Slough WMA, southeastern Rapides Parish
- 50 acre field of brown-top millet. Hunting by lottery draw only for the first 2 Saturdays of the season (Sept. 2 & 9). After that, open to all on Saturdays, Sundays, and Wednesdays only from Sept. 10-24 and Oct. 7- Nov. 12.
John Franks WMA, Caddo Parish
- 35 Acres of Sunflower and brown-top millet
Pointe-Aux-Chenes, Lafourche Parish
- 60 acres – 20 acres planted in brown top/Japanese millet, 20 acres volunteer, 20 acres fallow. Only open certain days and times, refer to the hunting pamphlet for exact dates and times.
Richard K. Yancey (formerly Red River/Three Rivers) WMA, Concordia Parish
- 90 acres planted in brown top millet. The dove fields will be prepped before both the first and second splits.
Russell Sage WMA
- Shop Rd Field –10 acres, manipulated native vegetation.
Sabine WMA, Sabine Parish
- Various clear cuts have a good goat weed (croton) response, expect good dove shooting in these areas
Sandy Hollow WMA, Tangipahoa Parish
- 2 & 9 through the end of first split. CLOSED Sept. 3 – 8 of first split, second and third splits are the same as outside EXCEPT youth hunt on Northern Tract during the opening day of the first segment (Sept. 2nd). Hunt restricted to youths 17 or younger and supervising adult who must be 18 years of age or older.
- North tract – 3 fields totaling 33 acres, planted in brown-top millet
- South tract – open to all hunters, 14 acres planted in brown-top millet
Sherburne WMA, Iberville/St. Martin Parishes
- 83 acres of fallow/volunteer fields planted in brown-top millet in 2022. 68 acres of dove fields will be prepped and burned before first split. These fields are located along Little Alabama Road. The remaining 15-acre field, located south of Big Alabama Rd., along the Airstrip Road, will be prepared and burned for the second Split.
U.S. Forest Service, Calcasieu Ranger District, Vernon Unit, Vernon parish
- Dove field (Vernon Unit, Calcasieu Ranger District) – 60 acres planted in brown-top millet
West Bay WMA, Allen parish
- Various clear cuts have a good goat weed (croton) response; expect good dove jump shooting
2023 LDWF Private Dove Field Leases
The registration period for this season's opening day hunts will open August 21st at 8 a.m.
LDWF also offers free assistance to private landowners interested in managing their property for wildlife, including doves.