|Species||Size Limit||Possession Limit||Season||Gear Restriction|
|Alligator snapping turtles||None||One per day per person per vehicle/vessel||Open year-round|
|Diamondback terrapins||6 inches minimum plastron length (plastron is the underside surface of the shell)||None||Closed April 15 through June 15||It is illegal to take this species by a trap of any kind.|
|Box turtles and razorback musk turtles||None||Two per day, four at any time||Open year-round|
Recreational Reptile and Amphibian Collecting
Licenses and Permits
- Basic Fishing License
- Hoop Net Gear License when using hoop nets; if running more than five hoop nets, you must have a Commercial Fisherman License
- No removal of nesting or nest-tending animals.
- Use of gasoline to flush animals from hiding places is prohibited.
- Destruction of natural cover (ex: stumps and logs) while searching for animals is prohibited.
- Turtle traps:
- Must be checked daily.
- Must be marked as a turtle trap.
- Must be open above water to allow breathing.
- Must be constructed as a horizontal, single-throated device.
- May not be used to harvest diamondback terrapins.
- Possession of finfish while turtle trapping is prohibited.
- Harvest of turtle eggs is prohibited except for eggs of the red-eared slider.
- May be harvested using any visible light and mechanical devices known as frog catchers or with devices that puncture the skin (gigs or spears).
- Possession of firearms while taking or hunting frogs at night is prohibited.
- Length measured from the tip of the muzzle to the posterior end of the body between the hind legs.
|Species||Size Limit||Posession Limit||Season|
|Bull and pig frogs||
||None||Closed April through May|
You may not harvest or possess:
|Eastern tiger salamander||Mud salamander||Red salamander||Southern red-backed salamander|
|Webster’s salamander||Dusky gopher frog||Green sea turtle||Hawksbill sea turtle|
|Kemp’s ridley sea turtle||Leatherback sea turtle||Loggerhead sea turtle||Gopher tortoise|
|Ringed map turtle||Louisiana pine snake||Black pine snake||Eastern diamondback rattlesnake|