Mandatory Harvest Information Program (HIP)
If you’re 16 years old or older and hunt migratory birds (ducks, coots, geese, doves, woodcock, rails, snipe, or gallinules), you must get a Harvest Information Program certification and carry proof of your HIP certification with you whenever you’re hunting migratory birds. You must get HIP-certified in every state you hunt migratory birds.
The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and state wildlife management agencies use HIP to estimate the number of migratory birds harvested each year. The USFWS selects a random sample of HIP-certified migratory bird hunters and sends them a survey. Survey questions vary from what species you hunted and how many you harvested to a request to send in a wing from each harvested bird. Biologists use these data to determine the effect of hunting regulations on harvest levels and evaluate the ratio of young birds to adult birds in the harvest to determine recruitment rates (young surviving to enter the adult population). Managers use this information to set hunting seasons and bag limits.
How do I get HIP-certified?
Get your HIP certification online or at LDWF Headquarters at 2000 Quail Drive in Baton Rouge. No course or test is required; simply answer a few short registration questions.
HIP certification is no longer available at retail license vendors.
How much does HIP certification cost?
There is no charge for HIP certification at LDWF headquarters in Baton Rouge, but online HIP certification will incur a $2.00 online transaction fee. HIP is no longer available at retail license vendors because of poor compliance with asking registration questions and thus providing invalid information on migratory bird species hunted and relative success needed for selecting hunters for harvest surveys. As part of a multi-state pilot study coordinated by the Wildlife Management Institute to address invalid registration data, LDWF has limited HIP certification to online or in-person at LDWF headquarters in Baton Rouge.
What if I have a lifetime license?
You still must get HIP-certified every year. You can get your HIP certification online or at LDWF Headquarters at 2000 Quail Drive in Baton Rouge.
Steps for Getting Your HIP Certification Online
- Go to our licensing site.
- You’ll see several boxes with photos. Click on the one that says LICENSES & PERMITS (with the photo of the dog retrieving a gray duck, in the upper left part of the page).
- Scroll to the bottom of the Licenses & Permit information page and click on the CONTINUE box.
- If you’ve previously purchased a Louisiana hunting license, on the Customer Search page in the left-hand column (Existing Customers), click on the arrow in the blank box to select a method to log into your account. Then type in your information and click on the SEARCH box.
If you have never purchased a Louisiana hunting license, on the Customer Search page in the right-hand column (First Time Customer), click the NEW CUSTOMER box.
- On the Customer Edit page, first, click “Yes” that you are a Louisiana resident, then complete and/or check all of your information. Be sure to add an email address if you have not previously provided one. Next, click on the box that says “I hereby declare that all information provided is true and correct”, and click on the CONTINUE box.
- On the Product Catalog page, click on the HUNTING tab at the top to go to the page with HIP CERTIFICATION. Click on every license that you would like to buy, then click the CHECKOUT box. If you have a Lifetime License or already bought a license, clicking on HIP CERTIFICATION will direct you to the HIP registration questions. When answering the HIP registration questions, for every species, click on the arrow in each box and tell us whether you hunted and killed 0, 1-10, 11+, or did not hunt. Then click CONTINUE.
- On the Sales Confirmation page, you can edit your purchases, make a donation to Hunters for the Hungry, and enter your payment information. When finished, click PURCHASE PRODUCT(S).
- On the Sales Receipt page, you will have options to PRINT LICENSE(S) or EMAIL LICENSE. Select the method you prefer (you can select more than one), and you’re done!
Getting your HIP certification online is a lot easier when you are actually doing it than these instructions make it sound, but it is a lot of clicking. Please share these instructions with anyone who might be having trouble with getting their HIP certification online.