Mandatory Training for New Crab Trap License Applicants
When you apply for a Commercial Crab Trap Gear License, you must have first completed the Louisiana Fisheries Forward Commercial Crab Gear Requirements Program, unless you:
- Held a valid Commercial Crab Trap Gear License in any two of the following years: 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014 OR
- Held a valid Wholesale/Retail Seafood Dealer License and can demonstrate crab landings through trip ticket submissions during any two years between 2011 and 2014.
The program consists of:
- Mandatory NASBLA-approved boating safety course, unless you have already taken the boater’s course prior to the launch of this program and your certificate is still valid OR if you are a U.S. Coast Guard-licensed vessel captain. Please select one of the following courses:
- Free online course from the Boat US Foundation
- Online course from Boat-ed.com; fee of $24.50 upon completion
- Free in-person course; view upcoming courses online.
- Four mandatory Louisiana Fisheries Forward online courses; you must complete each course in its entirety and receive a minimum score of 80% for each course:
- Best Practices for Commercial Fishermen
- Best Practices for Crab Fishermen
- Best Practices for Producing High Quality Seafood in Louisiana
- Best Practices for the Seafood Industry.
- Mandatory on the job/field training through an apprenticeship or sponsorship.
- Optional attendance at LDWF-approved meetings or events (as substitute for required apprenticeship hours or sponsorship trips). To receive credit, a designated LDWF employee or agent must document your attendance at meetings or events. You must sign in upon arrival, present a photo ID, and provide your Commercial Fisherman’s License number. You must sign out when your leave the meeting. You will only receive credit for the time between sign-in and sign-out. If you fail to sign in and/or sign out, you will not receive credit for attending the event. Examples of meetings and events include:
Apply for the Program
To apply for the program, you must have a valid Louisiana Commercial Fisherman’s License and must complete and submit an application, along with additional required documents.
Applications are also available in person or by mail by contacting LDWF at 855.262.1764.
You may submit applications year-round via mail to the address below. Program documents submitted in person will not be processed the same business day.
Louisiana Fisheries Forward – Commercial Crab Gear Requirements
Attention: Program Development
PO Box 98000
Baton Rouge, LA 70898
Please review the official program rules, guidelines, and application before applying for the program. Do not start your training until your application has been approved.
You must complete all requirements within one consecutive 12-month period. When you have completed the mandatory course training and one of the on the job/field training options, you will be eligible to obtain a Commercial Crab Trap Gear License.